Wednesday, November 12, 2014

We are greater than equals, insist visually-impaired

Taken from Times of India.
Agra: Thirty-year-old visually impaired Neha Agarwal who is working as project coordinator in
IBM (Hyderabad), removed the myths relating to 'blind employees' during the special session organized in national blind convention here on Saturday. The event was attended by HR officials from various hospitality organizations who showed interest in hiring sightless people, as according to them, they are more efficient workers than normal employees.

A gathering of more than 100 people were spellbound as Neha Agarwal gave a power-point presentation on "what a blind can do and what he/she cannot". She
was clicking on mouse and typing on a keyboard faster than any sighted person would do.

In her hour-long presentation, Neha shared the shortcomings of blind employees such as always needing a helping hand when it comes to front desk jobs but how they are more efficient workers at the back desk. She also elaborated to the HR officials about the working style of a visually impaired person and how they take the tasks given to them.

As the session ended, the HRs, around half of a dozen in number, showered a series of questions on Neha. The questions were focused on how the companies can hire blind persons and how they will be useful for them. She answered all the questions calmly leaving a positive image of th esightless in the minds of the HRs.

"Blind are more efficient workers than people with sight, I believe. They will
work
going beyond of their comfort zone for their employers which normal person doesn't do," said Predeep Oberoi, senior HR head, Clarks chain of hotels in
Agra.

Talking to TOI, Neha Agarwal shared the ordeal of her life and how she overcome the tragedy which happened with her in 2003.

"I lost my sight in 2003. I was 19 years old at that time and was pursuing a diploma in fashion designing. The viral infection left my eyes blind and my face with white patches. The colourfull life turned totally dark and I went into depression, as I was unable to cope with the situation," she said.

The elder daughter of her father, Dinesh Agarwal who is a businessman in Hydrabad, Neha struggled with her sudden blindness for eight-long years. A ray of hope tend her to start her studies once again in 2009 after which there was no looking back for Neha.

"In 2009, I applied for graduation and in the meantime I learnt computers. One of my friends told me about IBM. I appeared in the interviews and got selected,"
said Neha.

She added that her family never considered her a burden but she wanted to stand on her own. She motivated hundreds of blind persons who attended the three-day-long
blind convention at Dr BR Ambedkar University who still are in a dilemma about their jobs and profession.

"I am lucky to have a daughter like Neha. She made us proud. Though issues of her marriage give me sleepless nights but I know that there is a partner for everyone," said Saroj Agarwal, Neha's mother.

Source: Times of India.

No comments:

Post a Comment